With the arrival of sweater weather and pumpkin season, I am sharing this cute chunky pumpkin Tunisian crochet free pattern! It works up super fast and you end up with a perfect textured crochet pumpkin to spruce up your Fall decor!
This post contains affiliate links for which I may get a small commission at not extra cost to you.
This pumpkin pattern is featured in the Halloween Delights Blog Hop where you will be able to get the PDF for FREE ON OCT. 26TH 2022! (OFFER GOES LIVE OCT 26TH, 2022)
GET IT FREE ONLY ON OCT 26TH 2022!
Skill Level: Beginner
Tunisian Crochet Free Pattern Materials
Bernat Velvet in Mushroom, 30 yards for small, 90 yards for large (Size 5 bulky weight; 10.5 oz/300 g; 315 yards/ 288 m; 100% polyester)
Wool-Ease Thick and Quick,
Lion Brand Yarn Wool-Ease Thick and Quick in Wheat or Raisin, 45 yards for small, 106 yards for large (Size 6 super bulky weight; 6 oz./ 170g, 106 yd/97 m; 100% 80% acrylic, 20% Wool)
- Size M 13 9.0 mm Tunisian crochet hook with 8 in. cord, grab my favorite set here.
- Gauge is 11 sts over 8 rows in Tunisian simple stitch for a 4 x 4 in. square
- The finished size in LB Wool-Ease Thick and Quick is:
- Small: 24 in. long by 4 in. wide laid flat, 24 in. circumference
- Medium: 24 in. long by 5 in. wide laid flat, 24 in. circumference
- Large: 24 in. long by 7 in. wide laid flat, 24 in. circumference
- The finished size in Bernat Velvet is:
- Small: 21 in. long by 3.5 in. wide laid flat, 21 in. circumference
- Medium: 21 in. long by 5 in. wide laid flat, 21 in. circumference
- Large: 21 in. long by 7 in. wide laid flat, 21 in. circumference
The pattern below is only for the small Lattice style Tunisian crochet pumpkin. To get the other sizes and a second stitch style, you can purchase the ad-free PDFs on Etsy and Ravelry.
Free Tunisian Crochet Pattern Notes:
This pattern is for a textured chunky beginner-friendly Tunisian crochet pumpkin. It’s the perfect addition to your Fall decor and will help you practice the basic Tunisian crochet stitches! The best part is that it works up super fast so it’s great for market prep and gift making!
- This pattern uses a few Tunisian crochet techniques. Use the following video tutorials as needed:
- Pattern rows are Forward pass instructions.
- The following instructions are implied:
- The loop already on the hook at the beginning of the row counts as the first st.
- Always Tunisian simple stitch in the last st of the row, being sure to work under both loops of the st.
- Return Pass: Follow the foundation row and each row with the Return Pass in the same color unless a color change is needed.
- Return Pass Instructions: Ch 1, *yarn over, pull through two loops; repeat from * until 1 loop remains on the hook.
HELPFUL VIDEO TUTORIALS
CHUNKY TUNISIAN CROCHET PUMPKIN – FULL VIDEO TUTORIAL
TUNISIAN CROCHET FOUNDATION ROW AND SIMPLE STITCH
TUNISIAN HONEYCOMB STITCH
TUNISIAN LATTICE STITCH
TUNISIAN CROCHET BIND OFF
Sl st: Slip stitch
Tss: Tunisian simple stitch
Tss2tog: Tunisian Simple Stitch 2 Together
RetP: Return Pass -Explained above
Tunisian Crochet Pattern Instructions:
Row 1 (Foundation Row): Pick up a loop in the back bump of each chain. Complete normal RetP. (11 sts)
Rows 2 to 3: Tss across. Complete normal RetP (11 sts)
Row 4: *Tss2tog (1 st), Tss back into 1st st of Tss2tog (2 sts)* Rep * to last 2 sts, Tss 1, work last st as normal. Complete normal RetP (11 sts)
Row 5: Tss 1, *Tss2tog (1 st), Tss back into 1st st of Tss2tog (2 sts)* Rep * to last st, work last st as normal. Complete normal RetP (11 sts)
Rows 6 and 7: Rep rows 4 and 5. Complete normal RetP (11 sts)
Rows 8 and 9: Rep rows 2 and 3 (11 sts)
Rep Rows 4 to 9 (5 times). Make sure you have 6 total Tunisian Simple Stitch bands. (11 sts). Bind off leaving a long tail (approximately 40 in.)
Follow assembly instructions below.
Fold in half with the wrong side out and whip st the short edges together and follow assembly as shown in this video tutorial. Weave in all loose ends.
Weave yarn in and out through the stitches at the top and pull to cinch closed. Weave yarn to the other side. Fill lightly with stuffing. Mark each Tunisian simple stitch band with a stitch marker. Cinch this side closed in the same way as the other side leaving a small hole. Wrap yarn tightly around mirroring Tunisian simple stitch bands weaving yarn through the center as you go, repeat twice. Place a cinnamon stick in the hole and cinch tight. Tie some twine to add a rustic touch. Make sure to watch this video tutorial to get a better idea of how to do this.
You are done! Have any questions? The best way to reach me is via email: [email protected]
Share your finished pumpkin with me on social media using the hashtag #chunkytunisianpumpkin for a chance to be featured!
Instagram @noorsknits Facebook @noorsknits1
This is an original pattern from Noor’s Knits, ©2020. Please do not reprint, repost, or sell any parts of this pattern, but feel free to link back to my blog. You are welcome to sell finished items made from this pattern but please kindly link back to my website. Send questions to [email protected]
If you enjoyed this free Tunisian crochet pattern, check out my Tunisian Football Stuffie perfect for all your little Football lovers or the Skully Corn Bag to make this quarantine Halloween extra special this year.